How To Apply CliftonStrengths Futuristic At Work
StrengthsFinder Definition - Futuristic
Often people will ask us, "What does it mean to have the Futuristic Strength?" First, know that StrengthsFinder will help you figure out your potential. We call them natural talents or natural patterns. We know you're here because you want to turn them into superpowers in your career, so here's the gist: People exceptionally talented in the Futuristic theme are inspired by the future and what could be. They energize others with their visions of the future. Here's the full list of CliftonStrengths definitions so you can check out your other talents as well.
Gallup®, Clifton StrengthsFinder®, StrengthsFinder®, and each of the 34 Clifton StrengthsFinder theme names are trademarks of Gallup, Inc.
CliftonStrengths Futuristic - Learn All About It
These “Talent Deep Dive” videos explore the nuance of each talent theme. You’ll learn about its power and edge. You’ll consider potential blind spots. These are useful videos if you have this talent theme at the top of your list, or if you want to learn about a teammate who leads through Futuristic.
Your Strengths Will Strengthen Your Performance At Work
In the next section, you'll explore what fuels you up and what drains you. Just like gas (or petrol) in your car, you need to keep your personal tank full to be at your best. Each StrengthsFinder talent theme is energized and drained by different things. When you see the stick figure who looks strong, you can consider how these things fuel you up at work. They're your energy makers. When you see the stick figure who looks weak, consider if these things are draining you at work. They're your energy takers.
Yucks for CliftonStrengths Futuristic
What's a Yuck?
It's a situation, condition, or behavior you might see at work that zaps your energy. Yucks are also things you see on your calendar or to-do list that make you think, "Yuck, if I never had to do that again I'd be thrilled."
Yuck Situations for Futuristic
- An environment stuck in the past
- Contentment with status quo
How CliftonStrengths Futuristic Can Be Perceived When Starved
What's a Starved Talent?
This section describes how you might be perceived when the shadow side of your talent is showing. It’s when you’re overusing, misapplying, or squashing one of your natural talents rather than turning it into a strength. We often see people starve, squash, or ignore their talent when they assume it is not valued in that role or company culture.
Perceptions of Starved Futuristic
- Moves before people are ready
- Head in clouds
Situations That Make CliftonStrengths Futuristic Feel Insulted
What's An Insulted Talent?
Usually, talents get offended or insulted by other people who have natural preferences that are different from yours. It also happens if they fail to see their actions have an impact on someone else (you!). You can also insult your own talents if you have a "troublemaker strength" that speaks loudly and overpowers this one.
Things That Will Insult Futuristic
- Seem preoccupied with the past.
- Hold meetings in reaction to daily "fire drills" rather than getting ahead to the important vision of the future.
Yays for CliftonStrengths Futuristic
What's a Yay?
It's a situation at work that boosts up your energy or makes you feel productive. Yays are also things you see on your calendar or to-do list that make you think, “Yay, fill my days with this."
Yay Situations for Futuristic
- Imagining what could be and what the possibilities are
- Seeing and envisioning a better world
How CliftonStrengths Futuristic Can Be Perceived When Fed
What's a Fed Talent?
This section describes how you might be perceived when the best version of you shows up at work. It’s when you’ve invested in your natural talents to mature them into strengths. You can feed your talent by considering “how” you approach each “what” on the job. When you apply your talents to productive outcomes, you’re feeding them.
Perceptions of Fed Futuristic
- Creates a picture of tomorrow
- Shows possibilities
- Forecasts downstream impact
Situations That Make CliftonStrengths Futuristic Feel Honored
What's An Honored Talent?
Usually, talents feel honored when other people acknowledge your needs and potential contributions. Talents feel honored when someone “extends an olive branch” to help you work at your best. You can also honor your own talents by investing in them, by choosing work that naturally calls on them, or by applying your strengths to performance on the job.
Things That Will Honor Futuristic
- Talk about the unforeseen and what is possible.
- Make time to dream and vividly visualize the future.
Personal Brand - "How" Futuristic Operates At Work
Most people have a good handle on "What" they bring to the workplace. Resumes, CVs, and career development conversations are filled with lists of skills and job titles that show "what" you can do. Nearly everyone misses the "How".
Your Clifton StrengthsFinder talent themes help you communicate "How" you show up. It's how you think. It's how you feel. It's how you act. These are huge differences in each person that are differentiators on the job. Consider these adjectives you might want to consciously put into your personal branding efforts.
We recommend working a "How" description into the Summary section in your LinkedIn profile (if you don't yet use that section, don't worry, most people haven't paid attention to it until now). Of course, make up adjectives or phrases that describe you at your best. Try to avoid words like "motivated, self-starter" because they're so overused that you'll blend in with everyone else. Here are some ideas to spark your thinking:
- What-If Thinker
How To Invest In Your Futuristic Talent On The Job
- Take time to think about the future. The more time you spend considering your ideas about the future, the more vivid your ideas will become. The more vivid your ideas, the more persuasive you will be.
- Seek audiences who appreciate your ideas for the future. They will expect you to make these ideas a reality, and these expectations will motivate you.
- Motivate your colleagues with things that can be done in the future. For example, include some Futuristic ideas in each of your group meetings, or write your vision for the future and share it with your colleagues.
- Find a friend or colleague who possesses this theme. Set aside an hour a month for “future” discussions. Together you can push each other to greater heights of creativity and vividness.
- When you have an opportunity to describe the future in a speech, an article, or a presentation, use as much detail as possible, because not everyone can intuitively fill the gaps like you can.
- Partner with someone with a strong Activator theme. This person can remind you that you do not discover the future; you create it with the actions that you take today.
Tips For Managing Someone Who Leads Through The Futuristic Talent
- When you have career conferences or performance meetings with this person, keep in mind that she lives for the future. Ask her to share her vision with you — her vision about her career, about your organization, and about the marketplace/field in general.
- Give her time to think, write about, and plan for the products and services needed in the future. Carve out opportunities for her to share her perspective in company newsletters, meetings, or industry conventions.
- Send her any data or articles you spot that would be of interest to her. She needs grist for her Futuristic mill.
- Put her on the organization’s planning committee. Have her present her data-based vision of what the organization might look like three years hence. Have her repeat this presentation every six months or so. In this way she can refine it with new data and insight.
- Stimulate her by talking with her often about what could be. Ask lots of questions. Push her to make the future she sees as vivid as possible.
- When the organization needs its people to embrace change, ask her to put these changes in the context of the organization’s future needs. Have her make a presentation or write an internal article that puts these changes in perspective. She can help others rise above their present uncertainties and become almost as excited as she is about the possibilities of the future.
What To Consider When Partnering With A Colleague Who Leads Through Futuristic
- Ask this person to partner with you when you need someone who can dream big and envision what can be.
- When the team has been playing small for awhile, use this person to help you paint the picture of the future and how you can get there. They will help others see that it is actually possible, and not just a pipe dream.
- Call on them when you need help thinking through who you need to meet, what you need to accomplish, and who you need to become in order to meet a big goal.
Turn Futuristic Into A Strength This Month By Making It Your Phone Lock Screen
Click on this thumbnail image of your StrengthsFinder talent theme to link to the full size image. Then save it to your phone or mobile device as your lock screen.
That way, you’ll be reminded of your plan to focus on that talent…oh…about 98 times per day when you unlock your phone. What a great way to keep your intention front-of-mind! This will help you remember to invest in this talent theme so you can take the untapped potential and turn the natural talent into a strength.
Who knew wallpaper images could be so valuable to your career?! Here are all of the lock screen images if you want to grab an image for a different CliftonStrengths talent.