This Episode’s Question
I have a question about finding a mentor. I hear consistently that it’s an exceptional tool for professional development. I’m not sure where to find one…and if I do find one, how can I make sure they’re a good fit?
What You’ll Learn
– How to ask a mentor for their time without offending them.
– A way of thinking about mentor “fit” that feels the same way you decide whether a friend fits your style.
– 4 non-mentor relationships that can have mentor-like outcomes for you.
– The secret sauce of a BBF.
– Why offering to buy coffee could cost your mentor $3,000.
– How asking to “pick your brain” could annoy a potential mentor.
– Simple exchanges, requests, and relationship building “asks” that let you build a mentorship without asking them to move into your house during your first conversation.
Tweetable of the Episode
Remember to be a giver with your mentors, not just a taker. You have value they need. via @lisacummings
Resource of the Episode
Book: 52 Strategies for Life, Love & Work: Transforming Your Life One Week at a Time by Anne Grady, my BBF.