This Episode’s Question
I’m in the petroleum industry. I have a two-part question. One is — how would you go about finding six-figure job openings? And then from there, how would you approach a very cookie cutter job description? They seem so rigid — as if no one would fit the qualities, skills, and experiences they’re asking for in that description.
What You’ll Learn
– How job descriptions get written behind the scenes
– Where to find six-figure job openings
– Whether you should take all of the requirements seriously (education, skills, years of experience, competencies)
– When all of those things in a job description go out the window, and how applying “blindly” to job descriptions will not be your best bet
– How to get creative and get an interview, even if you don’t meet the criterion on the job description
Tweetable of the Episode
Find a job description you love, then find a person to get you in the door. via @lisacummings
Resource of the Episode
TheLadders – used to be 100k & above (only), now they’ve opened it up. They have salaries listed much of the time.
My favorite is Indeed – an aggregator that pulls from many sites and lets you filter by salary.