This Episode’s Focus On Strengths
Dorie Clark joined me to chat about using your uniqueness to Stand Out at work. If you want to improve your personal brand or reinvent yourself at work, this is a must-listen episode of Lead Through Strengths. We talked about applying your greatest strengths at work to help you stand out and boost your leadership cache.
What You’ll Learn
How to use a personal 360 to understand the starting point of your personal brand. She gives a rich version for those who really want to invest in their development. We also recount my experiment with her “Three Words Exercise” (great experience, by the way). That’s the super-fast version of the experience. And if you want an in-between commitment level when you apply it, here’s a resource she published in Forbes. It’s about asking for input via email.
- Why I got called “Lady With Chainsaw” in my personal brand exercise.
- How to stop sanding down your uniqueness and instead make it part of your brand.
- Given that we’re moving more and more to a world where what’s different about you is what matters, she shows you how to own your unique gifts and articulate them as part of your professional reputation.
- The story of a poet turned management consultant. You heard that right. It’s not a corporate exile who left to follow her art. It’s an artist who used that to her advantage in the boardroom.
- Ideas for developing yourself as a thought leader, even when you’re internal to a company and feel like it might be an awkward place to build a platform.
- Tips for breaking through the noise if you’re in a job transition and want to be the candidate that stands out.
To subscribe and review, here are your links for listening in iTunes and Stitcher radio. Subscribing is a great way to never miss an episode – let the app notify you each week when the latest question gets published. You can also stream any episode live on the website. Just click through the title you like and there will be a player waiting for you on each page. See you there!
StrengthsFinder Mini-Course For Managers
If you’re a people-manager and you want to sharpen your strengths based support, come join our monthly mini-course. We don’t charge for this because we want to help you keep the StrengthsFinder momentum going. Teams who receive strengths feedback have 8.9% greater profitability. Yowza! Sounds like a great reason to join. Source: Asplund, J., & Blacksmith, N. “Strengthening Your Company’s Performance.” Gallup Business Journal.