This Episode’s Question
I have a question about finding a mentor. I hear consistently that it’s an exceptional tool for professional development. I’m not sure where to find one…and if I do find one, how can I make sure they’re a good fit?
What You’ll Learn
– How to ask a mentor for their time without offending them.
– A way of thinking about mentor “fit” that feels the same way you decide whether a friend fits your style.
– 4 non-mentor relationships that can have mentor-like outcomes for you.
– The secret sauce of a BBF.
– Why offering to buy coffee could cost your mentor $3,000.
– How asking to “pick your brain” could annoy a potential mentor.
– Simple exchanges, requests, and relationship building “asks” that let you build a mentorship without asking them to move into your house during your first conversation.
Tweetable of the Episode
Remember to be a giver with your mentors, not just a taker. You have value they need.
Resource of the Episode
Book: 52 Strategies for Life, Love & Work: Transforming Your Life One Week at a Time by Anne Grady, my BBF.
To subscribe and review, here are your links for listening in iTunes and Stitcher radio. Subscribing is a great way to never miss an episode – let the app notify you each week when the latest question gets published. You can also stream any episode live on the website. Just click through the title you like and there will be a player waiting for you on each page. See you there!