This Episode’s Question
I’m in the petroleum industry. I have a two part question. One is – how would you go about finding six figure job openings? And then from there, how would you approach a very cookie cutter job description? They seem so rigid – as if no one would fit the qualities, skills, and experiences they’re asking for in that description.
What You’ll Learn
– How job descriptions get written behind the scenes
– Where to find six figure job openings
– Whether you should take all of the requirements seriously (education, skills, years of experience, competencies)
– When all of those things in a job description go out the window, and how applying “blindly” to job descriptions will not be your best bet
– How to get creative and get an interview, even if you don’t meet the criterion on the job description
Tweetable of the Episode
Find a job description you love, then find a person to get you in the door.
Resource of the Episode
TheLadders – used to be 100k & above (only), now they’ve opened it up. They have salaries listed much of the time.
My favorite is Indeed– it’s an aggregator that pulls from many sites, and lets you filter by salary.
To subscribe and review, here are your links for listening in iTunes and Stitcher radio. Subscribing is a great way to never miss an episode – let the app notify you each week when the latest question gets published. You can also stream any episode live on the website. Just click through the title you like and there will be a player waiting for you on each page. See you there!